On WhatsApp, you can do a lot more than staying in touch with loved ones — if you didn’t already know this, here’s your much-needed guide on how to make money on Whatsapp in Nigeria.
What is WhatsApp?
WhatsApp is an instant messaging platform that allows users to stay connected in real-time and basically keep in touch. Think of it as that one app that came to the aid of Nigerians when telcos ripped them off with ridiculous phone call tariff plans.
Over the years, WhatsApp’s contact-gathering model has opened its users’ eyes to the many money-making potentials of the app. From heavy marketing through broadcast messages to advertising products via the status update feature, there are several options to explore if you want to make money online.
If you’re still clueless about how to make money on WhatsApp in Nigeria, this is the guide you need.
Advertise your products and services
WhatsApp contacts can potential customers or can help you generate sales leads for new or existing business owners.
All you need to do is make sure you’re making the most of your contact list and consistently amplifying your marketing efforts by doing these things:
- Advertise your products and services by sending broadcast messages to contacts and WhatsApp groups.
- Share pictures of your products and make announcements on your WhatsApp status.
- Consider using the WhatsApp for Business app as it comes with features that will make your business organised.
If you’re considering ways to make money on WhatsApp in Nigeria, don’t sleep on affiliate marketing. In plain terms, you’ll simply be promoting other people’s products or services and getting commissions from them.
First, find credible affiliate programmes and get a referral link that assures your commission anytime a sale is made through you. Some companies also have affiliate links to products on their website.
Once you have a referral link, start thinking of creative ways to approach your WhatsApp contacts. The link can be shared as a WhatsApp status, in WhatsApp groups or as a broadcast message. Whenever someone on your contact list makes a purchase, you smile to the bank with your affiliate commission.
You also stand to earn if your contacts share your affiliate link with their contacts and people make purchases.
It’s important that with each sales effort, you take stock of products your contacts are interested in. You can run a quick survey with the poll feature on WhatsApp to find out your contacts’ consumer needs.
Some affiliate marketing networks in Nigeria are: Jumia affiliate marketing network, Konga affiliate marketing and Wakanow affiliate marketing programme.
Conduct online workshops and webinars
Consider this option to make money on Whatsapp in Nigeria if you’re proficient in your field and can easily transfer knowledge. The bulk of the work comes from promoting your online workshop or webinars in relevant WhatsApp groups and encouraging your contact to help you share too.
You can set your desired registration fee as long as you can assure participants that they would get value for their money. It’s important that with each seminar, you create a new WhatsApp group and keep in touch with your students from time to time. This way, you’re growing an audience that’ll always appreciate your products and services.
How to make money from WhatsApp stickers
If you’ve made fun of a friend or family member who uses ridiculous stickers of themselves during chats, the joke is on you as they’re most likely smiling to the bank.
Chatting on WhatsApp became a lot more enjoyable with the introduction of stickers, but do you know people are cashing out from it? WhatsApp allows users to create their stickers and earn from them whenever users download from the store. To earn money on WhatsApp in Nigeria this way, here are some useful tips:
- Create stickers: You don’t have to be a graphics designer to do this. You can simply convert personal pictures to stickers using the Stickers for WhatsApp & Maker app.
- Compile a sticker pack: Make sure you keep to a central theme. For instance, you can have a Baba Suwe or Wizkid sticker pack.
- Upload sticker packs to online stores such as and sell them. You should consider offering the sticker pack for free initially to attract a customer base.
- Once you have a sizable audience, consider offering premium or exclusive sticker packs for a fee.
- Use in-app purchases or subscription models within Whatsapp to monetise your sticker packs.
How to monetise Whatsapp Groups
There’s no WhatsApp feature that allows you to earn by creating or joining a WhatsApp group at the moment, but this isn’t to say you can’t make money online this way. Your contact list can easily get cluttered with each new number you add, but with a WhatsApp group, it’s easier to grow your audience and build a network of potential customers in an organised way.
While you can join other groups for networking, it’s advisable to create your own WhatsApp group where you’ll be the administrator. This way, you’ll have full control and can keep things organised for your audience.
You can create and manage groups for relationship topics, employment opportunities, movie lovers, etc. then tailor your marketing efforts to the audience in each group.
With all of this in place, here are some pointers to help you monetise a WhatsApp group:
- Share your affiliate marketing links in the group.
- Collaborate with experts to conduct online workshops/webinars for a fee.
- Pitch your WhatsApp group to businesses for advertising gigs. For example, if you build a WhatsApp community for movie lovers, filmmakers can advertise their projects on your platform.
- It’s important to create and share engaging content on your WhatsApp group from time to time. This will help you build a loyal following and will help you avoid getting “aired” when you’re marketing a product or service. God, abeg.
Become a WhatsApp marketer
There’s such a thing as a WhatsApp marketer, and this is one of the several ways to make money online in Nigeria. As a WhatsApp marketer, your most important job is growing your contact list.
Think of your loaded contact list as your product, and proceed to market this product to anyone who cares to listen. Use your social media platforms to announce your contact list with some of these messages:
- Reach new customers through my vibrant WhatsApp group of 1000 active members.
- Join our thriving WhatsApp group with 1000 active participants to tap into a goldmine of new customers today.
- Expand your customer base with our vibrant WhatsApp group that boasts 1000 engaged members. Join now and make sales.
Provide consultation services
If you’re an expert in a particular field, this is another easy-peasy way for you to make money on WhatsApp in Nigeria. With WhatsApp’s voice call and video conferencing features, you can make a killing by offering consulting services.
Whether your expertise is in health, fashion, business or entertainment, you can provide personalised advice and guidance to clients through virtual one-on-one conversations via WhatsApp.
Develop a strong reputation for delivering valuable insights and urge your satisfied clients to spread the word.
You can also blow your trumpet through broadcast messages to your contacts, messages to WhatsApp groups and the status update feature. Just make sure to charge all your new clients properly.
Join the hottest babes in Lagos for the hottest women-only party on May 27. Grab your HERtitude tickets here.